Books are always a fun way to explore core language.
But REMEMBER - just enjoy reading the book, pointing at and talking
about the text, THEN use light or high tech communication sets to talk
about the books, pointing out the core words. This should not be a
test, but a fun social interaction!!
Book for Core 9: WHEN FINISHED CAN HERE
The Challenge: To create a book highlighting target core words, but to keep in:
a) Engaging (so that students will want to read it multiple times)
b) Connected to Life (so that we can make text to self connections)
The Book: When Can We Go
- Students who are emergent or transitional readers (including older students);
- Any age student who is working on learning core vocabulary on an AAC system
When Can We Go Link
Tips for Extending This Book!
• After you read this book multiple times, start referring to it in real life. Examples:
• WHEN CAN WE GO to the park?
WHEN DAD gets HERE!
• Hey! DAD is HERE. WE CAN GO!
• WHEN I FINISH my e-mail we CAN GO
• WHEN CAN WE GO? WHEN I find my purse / keys / coat.
• WHEN CAN WE GO? WHEN YOU get dressed / brush your teeth / etc.
• WHERE IS my purse / keys / scarf?
HERE IT IS!
Most Important? Make it FUN!!!